Monday, 7 May 2012

Kindling the Moon: The Review

Complimentary copy from ADD
By Jenn Bennett

Meet Arcadia Bell: bartender, renegade magician, fugitive from the law. . . . 
Being the spawn of two infamous occultists (and alleged murderers) isn’t easy, but freewheeling magician Arcadia “Cady” Bell knows how to make the best of a crummy situation. After hiding out for seven years, she’s carved an incognito niche for herself slinging drinks at the demon-friendly Tambuku Tiki Lounge.
But she receives an ultimatum when unexpected surveillance footage of her notorious parents surfaces: either prove their innocence or surrender herself. Unfortunately, the only witness to the crimes was an elusive Æthyric demon, and Cady has no idea how to find it. She teams up with Lon Butler, an enigmatic demonologist with a special talent for sexual spells and an arcane library of priceless stolen grimoires. Their research soon escalates into a storm of conflict involving missing police evidence, the decadent Hellfire Club, a ruthless bounty hunter, and a powerful occult society that operates way outside the law. If Cady can’t clear her family name soon, she’ll be forced to sacrifice her own life . . . and no amount of running will save her this time.


Another complimentary book from AAD and I am SO pleased I got a copy of this as I thought it was great. I know there have been a few reviews lately where I have said, this is a great new series and please read it, I think you will like it. This is the same, it is a great new series, and if you are wanting urban paranormal fantasy with magic, mayhem, mystery, murder and sex. Then go for it. I enjoyed it and I am sure you will too.

So what did I enjoy, Cady, she is a really interesting protagonist, one whom you start to care about and invest it. She has such an interesting life, one which hides many secrets and has a shrouded past, but she has managed to make the most of her lot and carve a niche out into a life which allows her freedom. However, you all know how life is, it's all plodding along quite happily and then..... dun dun duuuuun.... CHAOS! Yeah, suddenly seeing your parents on the TV news after they faked their death when accused of murder will do that to you.

That starts Cady on a new path, a path to save her and her parents, a path to find out the truth; and it is a path full of twists and turns and surprises. A path with leads her to the door of Lon and the Hellfire Club and a few more things I won't discuss here as I don't want to spoil it for people.

Lon is broody and sexy and mysterious but also open, I know, he is complex and did I mention sexy? There is much more to Lon than meets the eye and I think we will find out more about him in the next book. I liked him as a character, he was funny and in many ways seemed real, like someone who you could sit down with and have a chat over a glass of wine... and then when the sun went down.... yeah, you can see where my train of thought is going. Their relationship builds as the story does and suffered the same pitfalls that many people face, the whole 'men are from Mars and women are from Venus' and don't necessarily speak the same language.

There is a big twist towards the end of the story, one that you suspect when you get near the end, and then think, no, can't, then OMG, no, really, wow, omg. I like a book which keeps me guessing and thinking and this did just that. If you haven't read it, do, add it to your summer reads. If you have read it, add it to your new series of the year list, I know I will!


A great series! I give Kindling the Moon 4.5 frillies out of 5. In fact I enjoyed it so much I have bought the second novel. Just waiting for it to get here!!

2 comments:

Bungle said...

Nice review. I've not seen this series before.
Loving the new header, I'm lovring polka dots right now!!

Minx said...

It's great, you must try it!! Thanks, I keep thinking I should do more with my blog and layout. But I like my cute little pin up mini me.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails